This weekend, Mitch went to the Men's Retreat that our church has every year. He had a fun time, but he was happy to be back home with his family. You can't imagine how happy I am to have him home!!
I wrote an email lamenting to a friend: "Why is it that I can retain my sanity throughout a normal "work" week, then completely lose it when required to do the exact same activities on a Saturday? I think I have an "entitlement" issue. I am entitled to some time off one day a week!! Or at least some help . . ."
Another friend came up to me today at the end of first service (yes, I made it to the 8:30 service) and asked how I was holding up. Was I doing okay? "Oh, no." I answered, "I'm going crazy." "Oh, good. It's not just me!" she replied.
Don't get me wrong. Stay-at-home moms have a good thing going. I love being home with my boys and watching them grow. I don't miss out on anything. I'm there for every new discovery and every little joy. I am there to wipe little noses and poopy bottoms. I get tons of kisses and tight squeezes. THIS job is what God has called me to do. I LOVE it (even though it might sound like I don't sometimes).
It is also very emotionally draining to LIVE for the moment that Daddy is going to walk in the door and take the screaming baby so I can finish dinner. Why can't I be like the wonderful women of God who write the books about being the perfect wife and mother? "Do this . . . and this . . . and this . . . and never hand a screaming baby off to a man who has just walked in the door. Give him time to decompress for the day."
Decompress. That is exactly what I need to do. I can't even begin to tell you how badly I would love to go visit my mom and sister and just get away and talk!!! (Three exclamation points means that my eyes just started watering at the thought.)
Why am I dumping this on you? Well, because I am listening to my baby screaming in his room because as I was covering him with blankets he woke up from his nap. I broke the rule that says, "Never, under any circumstances, should you check on your child while he is taking a nap in the middle of the day. He will inevitably feel your presence, see that it is daytime, and decide he needs you RIGHT NOW." A screaming baby brings out all kinds of "Calgon, take me away" types of emotions in me.
Anyway, back to Mitch. I am thankful he is home because he makes me feel like my job is so valuable. He listens to me (even though his eyes get droopy from lack of sleep at Men's Retreat) and tells me that he feels my pain. He doesn't try to solve my problems (too often) and instead gives me hope.
You know what he just did? He went into Cole's room and grabbed him from his crib and took him into our room and CLOSED THE DOOR so I didn't have to hear the crying. He calmed Cole down and is now playing with him and holding him close.
We missed Daddy this weekend.
Fall is Better with Friends
1 day ago
No comments:
Post a Comment