Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Grant's first day of school!

Yesterday was Grant's first day of preschool! I don't know who was more excited, Grant or me!

Grant turned 4 in July, but we put him in 3's this year. That was a tough, complicated decision for us (me, really). See, Mitch was a late bloomer physically, and sort of a pip-squeak socially as well (strange stories about his Jr. High and HS years!). He says that he wishes his parents had held him back so that he could have been a bigger, better athlete and not so embarrassed in the locker room. However, Mitch was (and is) a genius. Seriously. He taught his HS Calculus class . . . and Math isn't his best subject. So, in his parent's defense, Mitch would have been bored to tears if they had held him back.

Well, I wonder if Grant is going to be bored to tears in his 3-year-old class. See, this time last year, he wasn't ready. Not only was he not potty-trained (a requirement), but I compared him to my friend's little boy who was HUGE (genetics work in his favor). Her son was "there" socially while Grant was just barely present. Don't get me wrong. Grant is, and always has been, a wonderful boy whom others love to be around. He isn't one of those kids that you want to avoid (oh, come on . . . you know what I'm talking about!). His problem was attention span related and goofiness induced. So, I do feel good about not enrolling him last year.

The part I struggle with is, should I have put him in 4's this year? My son is going to be taking after his father. He is a bit of a genius. Yes, I know that I am his mother, but SERIOUSLY!! In his class, they are spending time on the color red and the square shape. Grant knew his colors and shapes when he was 2. I don't think that is very unusual, right? So, then, why is he "learning" such basic stuff?

Grant knows the sounds that letters make. He told me (while flapping his wings for emphasis) that he sat on the letter "fffff" on the carpet during share time. He can see the letter and know the sound. He just doesn't know the name of the letter. THAT is what I want him to learn. My friend told me last night that they learn more about letters in the 4's. I think Grant will know how to read by the time he hits the 4's. (Okay, that was TOTALLY my pride rearing its ugly head. Um . . . maybe this whole post is . . .)

Okay, so my child could end up being the smartest, biggest, oldest boy in his class. That is perfectly fine with me. I just hope he doesn't get bored!!

1 comment:

  1. you know, he may get bored on occassion. But I think you did the right thing. I think it'll be more crucial when he's in elementary. And, thankfully now a days there are TAG classes for those who get bored easily. I know, because this is how Sean is. Only he didn't start getting bored until around the second grade. He didn't get bored because the social things they do, the crafts, story time, and all the others were perfect for the social piece of him. Sean is and always will be one of the older ones in his class. The part I still worry about is who helps him with his homework if John and I can't???? I barely can now! Thankfully John is my smart one! My straight A boy is too smart!

    ReplyDelete