Sunday, February 4, 2007

Twin Rocks

Yesterday, we decided to head over to the coast. We hadn't planned to see Tim and Sara, but we had hoped that they would be available to visit with us and show us around their turf. When I called from Tillamook, they were excited that we had dropped in! (whew!) They met us at the cheese factory where we just HAD to buy some Tillamook cheese (not that we don't buy it every week anyway . . . ) and then Tim and Sara led us back to one of their favorite restaurants. After a satisfying bowl of clam chowder, they took us to see their little apartment at Twin Rocks Friends Camp and Conference Center. What a great little place to live as newlyweds. It was bigger than our first place and came fully furnished!! (Some of you may recall our tiny little starter apartment. Great memories!!)

They took us on a tour of the camp and it was fun to see some of the landmarks that I have always envisioned from my childhood when Dad spoke at high school camps. A lot has changed, but the room where I accepted Jesus as my Savior is still there (Dad was the speaker that night). The craft shack is also still there. I remember sitting with Mom and Jen learning how to etch glass while watching the big kids play a field game on the muddy field. I saw the little cabins that we stayed in as the speaker's family. Jen, that little cove of trees that we kept circling around the night of the councelor hunt is right outside Tim's door. I remember speaking loudly enough for the hidden councelors to hear, "It would be so great if we could find a councelor so we can earn some money to spend at Disneyland. We really need some money for Disneyland." Poor, pathetic, little beggers.

We've made plans to return in the spring with the Lusk family and some time in the summer, too. I want my kids to have some of those same memories of camp that I have. It is so awesome to have family members working at two of the camps that I have such fond memories of. Matt and Jen Lusk (my sister) work at Quaker Meadow Christian Camp where Matt is the Camp Manager. That camp had a HUGE impact on my life and we plan to send our kids to camp there when they are old enough, even though it is in California!! Camp ministry is near and dear to our hearts!

It was a cold and wet day at the coast, but Grant insisted that we run on the beach. We took his shoes and socks off in the hopes that he would get cold and want to go back to the car right away. (See earlier blog about the snow days.) Nope, didn't work. After running non-stop for about 20 minutes, we finally convinced him to get back in the car. It was a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment