About a month ago, I got a call from a gal from the Chamber of Commerce who told me that I needed to get Mitch to go to the City of Dallas Community Awards because he had won an award. I couldn't figure out how I was going to casually ask him if we could please get all dressed up and buy expensive tickets to go to this award night that we had never gone to before. I told her that she might want to ask Mitch's friend Jeff to get Mitch to go. I'm sure Jeff could convince Mitch. Maybe tell him that as business leaders, the two of them should go and bring the wives along. So, the next day, Mitch tells me that we are going to this award night. Good job, Jeff!
Mitch starts to get a little suspicious over the next few days because all kinds of people asked him if he was going to the award night. "Oh, you really should go Mitch!" Hmm. He starts to wonder if he won an award, and if so, which one?
Of course, I am trying to do my best NOT to spill the beans, but I'm so stinking proud of him that I started to grin every time he mentioned the award night. I tried to hide behind my hair (which is pretty short) and pretend it was no big deal. So, one night he announced that maybe we should skip the award night and go out just the two of us. I was so proud of myself when I responded, "Sure! Whatever you want, as long as I get to wear my new dress!" (hiding behind my hair, grinning) He decided that maybe he wasn't getting an award. I did a good job!
Anyway, we go to the dinner and sat in the back. We talked with our friends and laughed a lot. It was fun! Then, the awards started. I was amazed at the time and effort that the presenters put into their speeches. The presenters tried to keep the recipient a secret for as long as possible as they told stories of community service, acts of bravery and whatnot. After a while, it became obvious who the recipient was, and it was always very moving when they went up to accept the award. I was impressed with the whole production.
So, we were enjoying the awards, when all of the sudden our friend Jeff starts walking up to the front. I think Mitch figured it out at this point. Jeff gets to the mic and tells stories and highlights the personality traits of my beloved husband. He waxed eloquent. It was so great! I was called up to present Mitch with the award and he was almost speechless when I handed it over. He was greatly honored to be the recipient of the Dallas Junior First Citizen award. He thanked his family, his community and his Savior and received a standing ovation.
I just have to mention that the Dallas Community Awards were started about 60 years ago with only 2 awards: First Citizen and Junior First Citizen (under 35 yrs. old). Now, there are about 10 awards given out. It was awesome to see Mitch recognized for his contribution to the community. It meant a lot.
I know that it has been a while since that night, but I was planning to do a scrapbook page about the whole thing. My creative juices are blocked in this area, so I figured I had better write this down while I still remembered! Sorry!
Fall is Better with Friends
1 day ago
Better late than never! Thanks for letting us know the good news. I'm proud of your husband. And thanks to him, if I die tomorrow, Rachel can buy a house and pay off her student loans :-) (she's not crossing her fingers)
ReplyDeleteOh, Kelleigh....that's wonderful! I'm so happy for you both.
ReplyDelete