Sunday, February 24, 2008

Parenting

Our Sunday School class just finished up a series on parenting called "Boundries with Kids." It was such a great class. Every time we would start the DVD, my heart would start racing. Sometimes it was because they would show a skit and I could identify with the mom who was doing things wrong. Sometimes it was because I got so many ideas about how to implement strategies to fit each of my children. However, most often it was because I felt so affirmed. I think we are doing things right. And, we know the areas we need to work on and we are definitely working on them. I feel so emotionally vulnerable when I walk out of that class because I just love my kids so much and I want to do all the right parenting things so that they will turn out right and go change the world.

I'm glad we are raising our children in the church and that we have the support of our church family and our own families.

I'm so glad I was raised by parents who knew what they were doing. Well, they faked it real well, anyway. So far, most of us kids have turned out normal.

I'm so glad Mitch was raised by parents who knew what they were doing. I mean, he didn't turn out so bad.

I'm super glad that we both had both of our parents and that we come from Christian homes. That is so huge.

I'm glad that we waited so long to have kids. I'm glad we waited until both of us were ready. I'm glad we used the time pre-children to watch our friends screw up and talk about how we were going to do things differently.

I'm glad we are flexible in our expectations.

I'm glad that love covers a multitude of sins. I'm glad that my kids love me so much that they hardly notice when I make a parenting mistake.

I'm glad that I love them so much that I can take one look at their little faces and my anger and frustration melts away. I'm so glad.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it humbling how much we learn about our own relationships with God as we parent? I think parenting is a lesson and a gift. How thoughtful He is in His design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post!! I am incredibly glad for all of the same things :) What a challenge and a blessing that we have in being parents!

    ReplyDelete