Saturday, June 14, 2008

My baby is turning 2 today

Why does this have to happen? My sweet, wonderful, adorable child is turning two today. And, he is seriously turning into a little monster. I admit that about 10 seconds ago, I realized that he is entering the terrible twos. My first never did that (or at least my mommy brain doesn't remember), but this guy is just freaking out on me. All I hear all day long is "Maaa!" said in the most horrific, whiney voice. "Maaa! Maaa! Maaaaaaaa!" following me all the way to the bathroom. Then, when I dare to close the door, he bangs and yells "MaaaMaaaaMaaaaaaaa!"

I totally get it, though. I've taken enough child development classes to know that the child is just frustrated. He wants to communicate so desperately. He throws tantrums when I can't figure things out, but he is SO much happier when I at least try. Sometimes I am just tired, so I kind of ignore the whine and fuss, which just gets me into more trouble come tantrum time. It is best to ask questions: "Do you want some milk? No. Some water? No. Show me what you want . . ."

We have decided that our son is multi-lingual. For yes, he says, "ysss", "si", "weeee!" and "da". Isn't that interesting?! When we ask him questions to figure things out and we finally get it, he throws his arms up in the air and says, "Weeeee!!!!" with a huge smile. Ah. So cute.

OK, so I guess I am enjoying this stuff. I'll take the good and the bad, as long as I get THAT boy. He is my favorite 2-year-old boy in the world. Hands down.

My parents and three youngest sisters are here for the week, so we get to celebrate Cole's birthday and Father's Day with them. The "party" is tomorrow, so I'll post some pics of my birthday boy then! Happy Flag Day everyone!

And here, for your reading pleasure, is my birth story ('cause I know you were just DYING to read it again . . . ):

4 comments:

  1. These monumental birthdays are filled with such mixed emotion. I understand, on one hand, we want to keep them babies forever, on the other, it is such a delight to have them grow into self-sufficient little people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Cole! I enjoyed reading your birth story, I can't imagine being 5cm dilated before going into labor...it must have felt like he was going to fall out! Even more amazing that after all that bed rest you had to be induced. Good thing he was well worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Cole has a wonderful birthday and you enjoy your week with the family visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard about people who teach their kids to sign? It's supposed to decrease frustration (for child AND parent), plus it does not slow verbal development. I saw a blurb on Utube but I know Betty signed with Brandee when she was a baby. Cool to watch.

    ReplyDelete