Monday, June 2, 2008

Some updates and funnies

Last weekend we borrowed some movies from our friends. One of the movies was the new version of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, the first in the Narnia series. Grant loves to watch "Hernia" and play "Hernia" with Katie. They sneak around the house plotting to kill the white witch. It cracks me up every time he says "Hernia".

A friend came over on Wednesday and we worked on a mini album for her dad. (We got over 20 6x6 pages done! Complete with embellishments!) As a thank you, she brought me Dutch Bucks! Hmmm . . . Precious Annihilators. What a wonderful gift!

So, we went to Dutch Bros. and as we were pulling away Grant says, "I'm gonna get you Dutch Bucks for your birthday."

"That would be wonderful!" I replied. "And you really only need to get me three or six because I could buy one coffee with three Dutch Bucks or two coffees with six."

"Mom, I'm gonna get you more than that. I'm gonna get you more than any girl deserves. Guess how much I'm gonna get you. I'm gonna get you affout a hundred Dutch Bucks."

(Just writing that made me feel all warm and fuzzy again.)

On Saturday, we worked on a lot of projects around the house. One of the items we checked off our list was pulling the twin sized bed and trundle down from upstairs and setting them up in Cole's room. That's right. We took down the crib (and I only cried a little) and moved our baby into a big boy bed.

If you had asked me last year when the best time to move a child into a big bed was, I would have said, "Wait as long as possible." See, Grant didn't move out of his crib until he was 2 1/2, and we only did that because we needed him to have crib separation before the baby came and claimed his bed. Grant LOVED his crib and was content to sleep there (and stay IN the crib) for longer than we allowed. He did do fine when we moved him into a big bed, though.

Cole will be 2 in a couple of weeks, so this is A LOT earlier. However, Cole has been leaping in and out of his crib for quite a while now. It got to the point that we would say, "Okay, time to go to bed. Go hop in bed and I will be in there in a minute." Seriously. Who says that to a 23 month old? Of course, Cole was happy to show us how grown up he could be, and followed our instructions. So, we figured he could handle a big boy bed.

So, like I said, we brought the beds down, borrowed sheets from Grant, grabbed a pillow off the guest bed, spread out the quilt my grandma made Cole, and (after Grant tested it to make sure it was comfortable) Cole snuggled right in. We pulled out the trundle about 1 1/2 feet so that if he rolled out of bed, it would be gradual. Cole said night-night and took a nice, normal 3 hour nap. No problems at all.

Of course, we wondered how he would handle night time. He was not as excited to go to bed that night, so instead of reading a story in Grant's bed, Mitch had Grant come to Cole's bed for their story. Cole seemed quite proud to have this event take place in his big boy bed. They said goodnight and Cole snuggled in. No problems! Sure, he stayed awake singing and banging his feet against the wall for a little while, but that is not unusual. He slept through the night without getting out of bed, and then in the morning, he waited patiently until I came to get him out of bed. In fact, he stayed on the bed, leaned over and grabbed a couple of toys from his toy box and just played until I got there. How cute is that? We have trained our boys, haven't we!? Cole has now had 4 sleeps in his big bed and is handling it wonderfully! (Of course, the mommy rule is to never say these things out loud because as soon as you do, the child will do just the opposite of what you are praising him for. What am I thinking?)

On to other matters.

We put our garden in on Saturday. Two kinds of tomatoes, green beans, three bell pepper plants, cucumbers, mini pumpkins and an assortment of herbs to add to our herb garden. Plus, we planted my grandpa's giant sunflower seeds and a $1 box of wildflower seeds (which we may come to regret). Grant learned about growing things in preschool, so he was giving me instructions as we planted. Very cute.

This is Katie's last week. SO sad. We are still planning to see her over the summer and at certain events, plus she DOES go to our church, so we will see her there, but it is just not going to be the same. I'm working on some projects for her. This is one that I finished yesterday:

We will miss her!

2 comments:

  1. Fun updates. The bid-kid bed is always an adjustment, but if he was getting out anyway, it was time.

    Beautiful project you completed for Katie.

    ReplyDelete