Friday, January 19, 2007

I need an obsession . . .

You know how you go through seasons of interests? Ladies, you know what I'm talking about. When I first got married I was interested in finding great recipes. When we bought our first house, I poured over decorating magazines, sketched ideas and painted walls. When I was pregnant with Grant I subscribed to all the free pregnancy or baby magazines I could get my hands on. After he was born, I was OBSESSED with all things baby. I wanted everything to be absolutely perfect for him. (I admit now that it was a little unhealthy.) Then, we started building a home and again the decorating bug hit me. After we moved in, I just wanted to get curtains up and try to inject my personality in this new home (this has not been accomplished, yet!).

I'll admit that when I became pregnant with Cole, I wasn't nearly as obsessed. In the beginning I counted the days until we were out of the danger zone, then I relaxed a lot more and just enjoyed being pregnant. That is a good thing because I had a cute little 2 year old to look after. I didn't have time for obsession. Well, okay, I guess I became obsessed with scrapbooking. I sell Close To My Heart scrapbooking and stamping supplies, so I was always thinking about how to earn enough money at a party or workshop to get free stuff. This is still a lot of fun for me.

I guess my current interest is learning about all of the crazy chemicals found in household cleaning products and personal care items. If the American public only knew . . . freaky stuff. Do some research. It is interesting!

Other than that, I think it is time for another obsession to kick in. I think I am going through a "stage" (as moms like to call it). Stuff doesn't interest me right now. I am just trying to keep my head above water. I'm sure there are other moms out there who feel the same way. (Can I get an "amen"?) Yeah, I'm being pretty vulnerable here, but I have no idea how many people are reading this blog anyway, so ignorance is bliss. I have a counter at the bottom of my page, but I'm sure most of the hits are from me!! Anyway, I wonder if I am developing SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). I told my doctor that I've been feeling kind of down lately and she said I need to get some sun. Oh, if only the sun would come out! I live in Oregon, lady. Everything is gray right now. I've already thought about all kinds of solutions (lights, tanning beds, vacation to Australia) and just decided that I need to get over it. Will power. I'll let you know if it works. (But I also decided to take Luminex which contains St. Johns Wort . . . since I am not above self-medication.)

Maybe what I need to do is decorate my house. I admit, though, that I don't really care what it looks like right now. I just want it to stay clean! Yeah, right. Everywhere I go there are toys and books. Maybe if all of the toys and books were set against a vibrant red wall they wouldn't look as bad. Or, maybe what I need is a change in throw pillows.

Well, I'll try something this weekend and let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

  1. Tanning beds really do help. My sis and Kyle have both done it in past winters when the gray has gotten too bad. It might be the only 15 minutes of total peace and quiet you get until your kids are 18. I can stop by your house and watch the kids while you go out and give yourself some mommy time. Oregon can be a bit gloomy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Rachel and I were in Romania, all of our friends had SAD and they got a free trip down to Bucharest. It was a great way to get out of our tiny communist apartments and into the capital city. Houston is really far from family - we're excited to get back up there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHSU has a program for SAD. One of the things they suggest is light therapy. There are a number of lights on the market. My sister has one that she bought that you can program it when to turn on. She noticed she felt "happier" and more energetic on winter days when it was sunny. Her's she programs to simulate dawn and it comes on in the morning. There is probably research on Google about light therapy. I'd be careful which light to buy to make sure it's not just a light. Apparently you need a certain range of light. Hope you feel less 'sad' soon. Wait! ROAD TRIP!! I see a trip to Acapulco in your near future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My recent obsession is the garage sale we're having this Saturday. I'm so tired of miscellaneous junk cluttering everywhere. Broken toys. Clothes that never get worn but I keep anyway in the hopes they will. Kitchen gadgets I've never used in our ten and a half years of marriage. It will be gone. Gone, I say!

    (And, about how you're feeling. I hope that willing it away works, but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't. What gets me through is an understanding husband, toning down my activities a bit, and completely falling on God in desperation. So many times we get frustrated with ourselves if we can't fix what's wrong... even if we aren't sure exactly what IS wrong.)

    ReplyDelete